Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Skill +1UP - 2KCBWDAY2

From Eskimimi Knits

Skill + 1UP - Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year. Have you learned any new skills or forms of knitting/crochet (can you crochet cable stitches now where you didn’t even know such things existed last year? Have you recently put a foot in the tiled world of entrelac? Had you even picked up a pair of needles or crochet hook this time last year?

I have learned or at least practiced a few new things over the past year. I didn't really set out to learn anything new so I can't claim to have accomplished any goals, but I am a little proud looking back over what I have done.

From Beartato and Reginold
Toy Design - I haven't designed toys as much as I've made some toy modifications. For my Nedroid project, I improvised and made something all my own. I didn't create my own patterns, but I used shapes that I already knew and added some embellishments to make them what I wanted. I think it is fair to consider that a step in the right direction.

Color Work - I didn't learn to do color work over the past year, but I did get a lot of extra practice. All of the dice bags that I made recently gave me a great opportunity to play around with using colors. I am still not very confident in my color work skills. I think I need to learn to throw my yarn so I can knit with both hands. What I'm doing right now, is just not working for consistent gauge when I'm stranding. I doubt this is my last chance to practice, but I am not ready for any argyle sweaters.

Viper PilotsYarn Bombing - I haven't become a rebellious knitter by any means, but during my I *heart* NYC project I left my little bits of yarn graffiti throughout the city. It wasn't nearly as great as the Bull Cozy, but it is a beginning.

Through the Back Loop - Here is another skill that I didn't learn this year, but I can confidently say I perfected it. It took me an entire year, but I finished my Viper Pilots. Close to every stitch in this pattern is twisted. I am no longer afraid, intimidated, or slowed down by "tbl."

Lace Garments - I didn't learn lace this year, but Reid taught me a lot about blocking, seaming and general finishing for a lace garment with multiple pieces. I'm confident enough that I've started a adult sized lace sweater for myself. I even gave Reid a crochet boarder. (I'm not ready to consider that a new skill yet though.

You should go see all of the other mad skillz that knitters have developed over the past year!

No comments: