Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tidy Mind, Tidy Stitches - 2KCBWDAY3

This post was delayed due to technical difficulties please enjoy even though it is a day late.

From Eskimimi Knits

Tidy Mind, Tidy Stitches - How do you keep your yarn wrangling organised? It seems like an easy to answer question at first, but in fact organisation exists on many levels. Maybe you are truly not organised at all, in which case I am personally daring you to try and photograph your stash in whatever locations you can find the individual skeins. However, if you are organised, blog about an aspect of that organisation process, whether that be a particularly neat and tidy knitting bag, a decorative display of your crochet hooks, your organised stash or your project and stash pages on Ravelry.

I am slightly embarrassed by the current state of my stash. I yearn for a visible and organized stash, but this is what I have:
From Drop Box
That is my childhood toy box. It is jam packed full of yarn. All of those bags sitting out are the sets of yarn that go with projects that I have cast on. Here is what it looks like inside:
From Drop Box
I keep everything in bags. Most of the bags are groups of yarn for particular projects. The rest were organized by weight at one time, but that has been lost a bit. I love the sentimentality of keeping my yarn in my toy box, but my access to it is horrible. I have to dig to find anything, and usually I have to pull everything out to get to that one ball I know is there somewhere. I've gone beyond hinting to Hubby that I want a new way to organize everything. So far, he's giving me some wall space in the living room that could put the organization system against. We just haven't worked out a new system or taken that inspirational trip to the container store. Until then, I keep everything organized on Ravelry.
From My Stash
Since this has become my main method of organization, I've become a little obsessive. You may notice that some of those say things like 0.14 or 0.46 left. I measure my remaining yarn when I finish a project so I know exactly how much was used so I can know how much is left. I don't have all of it that detailed, but I keep most of the new stash items up to date.

Check out the innovative and beautiful ideas that others have for organizing their stash!

No comments: