Monday, March 28, 2011

A Tale of Two Yarns - 2KCBWDAY1

From Eskimimi Knits

A Tale of Two Yarns - Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.

From Drop Box
The first yarn that I want to talk about is the yarn I love. It has been with me since Arkansas, and I occasionally I pull it out to fondle and contemplate. I love this yarn because it is incredibly soft and cuddly. I don't have much grey or black yarn, but this color is somehow perfect. It soft and simple and still compelling. It is the warmest black I have ever seen. Beyond that, it has great memories. It was a gift in one of my very first yarn swaps when I was still just learning to knit.
What I don't love is that I just couldn't find the perfect project for it there. Initially I tried to make a Feather and Fan Scarf, but it was just too short for my liking. I frogged it and set it aside while I searched for a better pattern. Right now I have the two balls wound up together to make a Foliage. That didn't work out so I tried again with a Hermione. It didn't seem right either. I started to search around Ravelry for someone destashing so I would have a scarf's worth, but I never had luck.  Lately, I've been considering picking up another couple balls in a different color and maybe making the Chevron Scarf. I'm sure if I wait long enough, Knitty will show up with the perfect pattern.

IMG_1227This second yarn has been quit an opposite experience. I had never heard of Frog Tree prior to receiving it, but I've been reading everyone on the internet rave about Noro since before I knew what yarn weights were. I finally picked some up for myself when I was visiting family in Seattle over the holidays. Everyone was right about the colors. They are fantastic. I love the long slow transitions and the combination is perfect for my Seattle memories. The trouble is that it feels absolutely horrible in my fingers. It is scratchy and stiff. There are bits of plant embedded in it. I don't mind every so often, but this is a lot. I've been making a shawl with it, and I don't know if I'll want to have it around my neck. I haven't washed it yet so I've still got my fingers crossed, but right now, I just don't understand why a process knitter would use it.

Please go check out some more fiber filled posts from Knitting and Crochet Blog Week 2011.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have had very similar experiences with both of those yarns! I made my Frog Tree (in a dark charcoal color) into an Odessa hat with black beads. It is by far the hat I wear most often! So deliciously soft. I hope you find the perfect pattern soon!

Amanda D Allen said...

Odessa looks fantastic! I certainly wouldn't mind a reason to go bead shopping.

pinkundine said...

I don't get Noro either, but I've also read so much of people raving about it. Love the green colour though :)

Amanda D Allen said...

The colors were irresistible. I think that if I want to do any Noro type projects in the future, I'll be using Knit Picks Chroma. It is soft and fluffy and it has the long color changes. I've been loving it for my scarf.