Thursday, March 3, 2011

Axe Cop (Review)

From AXE COP
This time yesterday, I wasn't even considering writing a comic review, but I am so smitten with Axe Cop, I can't resist. I am certain that I'm late to the Axe Cop party since it has been a web comic for the past year, but I'm happy to be in the know now. Yesterday I didn't have one of my regular comics to buy so I was looking for something new. Geek Chick Daily recommended Axe Cop, and I was drawn in by the artist story. This comic is written by a 6 year old and drawn by his older brother. While goofing around and playing together they create Axe Cop and now they are expanding off the web and into Dark Horse publication with Bad Guy Earth.

Who is Axe Cop?

Axe Cop is an unconventional cop who prefers his axe and sweet fighting moves over the standard issue gun. He and his sidekick Dinosaur Soldier are very good at what they do. Inevitably, that irritates the normal cops so they want Axe Cop out of the way. Axe Cop has a full origin story, but his time in the police academy summarized everything that I needed to know.
From Bad Guy Earth Preview

What is Bad Guy Earth?

Story by Malachai Nicolle
Pencils, Inks and Lettering by Ethan Nicolle
Colors by Dirk Erik Schulz


Bad Guy Earth Issue One is about Axe Cop and Dinosaur Soldier saving the world from the growing planet that squish the earth. Along the way, they broke the rules, rocketed into space, got some new inventions. There are surprising plot twists on every page, and I can confidently say there is nothing predictable about this story.

Who will like it?

I love this comic is because it has absolutely no creative limits. If you have ever heard a kid make up a story, you know that anything goes. If you are willing to believe anything and laugh, then this story is for you. The art adds a whole new layer of humor. It lets us take everything literally and embrace it fully. At the same time, we secretly smile at the absurdity of it all. I can now have a visual reference for power-ups, a tyrannosaurus rex with machine-gun arms and fire breath, and robotic chicken brains. For that, I am grateful.  If you want to get goofy and watch a rebel save the world, then you will like this.

I originally picked this comic up solely because I wanted to support the creative writing of a 6 year old.  If that was a selling point for you, then I have a couple other recommendations. Please check out 826NYC (or your local chapter.) This non-profit organization works to inspire creativity and help elementary age children write. Our chapter walks each kid through a super hero supply store on their way to tutoring. It would be a great place to find the next Malachai Nicolle. You can start with The 826NYC Review: Issue 4. While I am recommending Axe Cop to adults, if you have kids I recommend The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl. This was written by Robert Rodriguez's son and is full of jokes that I know would have had me in stitches when I was in 4th grade.

No comments: