Saturday, April 2, 2011

Something to Aspire to - 2KCBWDAY6

From Eskimimi Knits

Something to Aspire to - Is there a pattern or skill that you don’t yet feel ready to tackle but which you hope to (or think you can only dream of) tackling in the future, near or distant? Is there a skill or project that makes your mind boggle at the sheer time, dedication and mastery of the craft? Maybe the skill or pattern is one that you don’t even personally want to make but can stand back and admire those that do. Maybe it is something you think you will never be bothered to actually make but can admire the result of those that have.

For today's post, I have already seen several people talk about how simple knitting is and that if you know how to knit and purl, you know it all. Of course I agree, but I think that should take away all of the intimidation and not the aspiration. I taught myself to knit watching Amy's videos on Knitting Help. I am confident that between the knitting support group I've collected on the internet, and YouTube, I'll never have trouble learning something new. Getting comfortable with something new is something entirely different. I like to feel comfortable before I take on the projects that I've set my heart on. As I mentioned on Day 2, I've practiced a lot of color work, but I'm not comfortable enough to take on some of the sweaters that I want to make.

The next skill I need to get comfortable with is double knitting.  There is an adorable hat that I want to have for next winter. For it to be a reality, I have a lot of work to do. First I have to learn double knitting. I've never seen, read about, or looked into it before. Fortunately Amy has a video! Next I need to practice. I've found some double knit pot holders on ravelry that will make great practice pieces. Once I'm comfortable its on to my hat. I'm taking this goal pretty seriously, I've already picked up the yarn. Now, I'm just waiting on me.

If you are interested in learning to double knit here are some of the cute patterns that I saw. (click on the picture to open the Ravelry link.)

From Trisha Mitburg

From Chilana

From Susi Sunshine

From Elizabeth Evans

From Phazelia

No comments: