Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ear Cozy

I have been eyeballing this pattern for probably more than a year. I am a big fan of pony tails and not so fond of cold ears. For these reasons alone this seemed like a great thing to own. It is also made from under 1000 yrds of yarn, so it also seems like a great way to get rid of project left overs. I never made it though because there was a lot of scary talk about it online. It seemed that every forum I visited had at least one thread about how this pattern was plagued with FOs that turned out WAY too big. I have always had gauge consistency issues and I've been a little scared of those patterns that tell me to figure out anything out on my own.

The other night I was looking for a instant gratification project to take a sock break. This one tempted me again, and I figured if I can knit a sweater, I can handle this cute little short row head band. This one is made with the left over Bare Super Wash Wool from my last baby blanket. I cast on 100 stitches instead of the 120 in the pattern. I did do all 15 repeats of row 5 like the pattern suggested. It took about 3 hours or less and I couldn't be happier with the result. It is soft, cuddly, simple, and washable. I didn't have a spare button lying around so I had to improvise. My favorite closure is this one (Rav Link) that used some spare legos. I don't think it would have been hard to get myself legos for this one, but it might be difficult to find them always missing because my hubby snatched them to play with. I made a little Icord dumbbell to hold it together instead.

No comments: