Monday, October 27, 2008

Bad News Travels Fast

At six this morning I was groggily checking my email when i was snapped into alertness by bad news from my alma mater. The news didn't come in an email from a friend or a colleague; it was one of the news bulletins in the higher ed update that I get every morning. This has been the second time since I left that I've gotten news this way. While they were both different types of news and completely unrelated, neither of them were good.

Today's news has me unsettled. I am not disappointed or embarrassed like I have been with other negative news reports. There is a lump in my throat and knots in my stomach. I am not involved in what's going on there. There is nothing I can do from here to make it better. It is not news that directly affects me any more, but I wish some of that weren't true. Today's news and how it affected me, made me realize just how much that place was home.

No comments: