Sunday, September 14, 2008

Serendipitous

I went ahead and cast on for the OpArt pattern. My friend is a photographer, so as a visual artist that one seemed much more suiting. The pattern being released like that is just too serendipitous to pass up. Plus, how often am I going to find occasion to use the word serendipitous. It all makes sense to me.

So far, the pattern has been wonderfully simple, and it has been moving pretty fast. The pattern is worked in a spiral outward from the center. Mine is already 9 1/2" square; however, I have a feeling it is going to slow way down as the rows get bigger and bigger to work.

I've also worked it out so that I am knitting up one of the ends as I go with each color change. I'll only have one end to weave in per color change when it is all said and done. (Those would be the ends that you see lying on top of the work there.)

The rain that was promised for this weekend didn't make an appearance today so I decided to checkout my LYS. It is a couple towns over in Hoboken, but it seems pretty wonderful. There was so much beautiful yarn and the owner seems great. I got to see and feel my first Malabrigo. They were beautiful and vibrant shades of oranges and yellows. As much as I want to discover what all the raving is about, I resisted because they were not colors I could just haphazardly be pairing with my hair and complexion. Last thing i need is a bright sunny hat to adore that makes me look jaundice.

I confess I was still pretty intimidated. All of that gorgeous yarn ovwhelmed me more than inspired me. I wanted to touch it, and knit it, and play with it. I just couldn't imagine it becoming anything. Maybe I just need a few more successful projects under my belt that will teach me more about the different fibers. I've got the Knitter's Book of Yarn, and I've started reading it, but I'm afraid that might be making things worse. I'm starting to be afraid of experimenting becuase I learning how important the fiber is to the drape and texture of the fabric. I went out on a limb though, and picked up some yarn for a skirt today that was not what the pattern recommended. I won't be casting that on for a little bit, but we'll see how it goes.

No comments: