Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Parade Mittens

I've convinced Hubby that we must go to the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade this year. We both have childhood memories of watching the parade. For me it was whenever I spent the holidays with my grandparents that I got to see it. I'd be sitting in my pajamas eating breakfast and it would be on the tv in the dining room. I'd zip away during commercial breaks to get dressed, brush my teeth, and sometimes pull a brush though my hair. To say I'm excited about getting to see it live is an understatement. So far, I'm not at all phased by the thought of showing up at 6:30 to see a 9:00 parade. I doubt that it is going to become an annual tradition since neither of us really like crowds that much, but it is one of those things that I've got to do once.

Hubby is still a little reluctant about the weather, so I am trying to get us as equipped as possible. I took a sock detour and knit myself some mittens. My thoughts are that this will help me make sure to take lots of pictures because my fingers will stay warm. Hubby is usually the camera man, but if his fingers get cold, I will be able to relieve him of his duties as he warms them back up.

These are Subway Mittens from Interweave Knits. I used some left over Andean Silk from my Francis. They knit up very quick. I think it only took a couple nights of watching tv. The pattern calls for a pocket on one mitten to hold your subway card so you can just swipe your hand in front of the card reader and keep your fingers toasty. I haven't put a pocket on for a couple reasons. First, I put pockets on some baby dresses that I did awhile back, and I did a horrible job. That is something that I am going to have to practice before incorporating it into anymore projects. (Ohh maybe I should practice by sewing my gauge swatches onto each other.) Second, I can just swipe my wallet in front of the card reader so my fingers don't have to be pulled out of the mittens anyway. In the spirit of the pattern being more than just mitts, I'd like to put something on them. I haven't decided what yet though. I'll have to go poke my head in my yarn basket and search for inspiration.

No comments: