Sunday, November 23, 2008

Another 'Hey I Could Make That!' Sighting

I was really excited a couple weeks ago when I saw the coat I want to knit in a Macy's ad. It has happened again. Today one of the non-knitting blogs that I read posted a link to this throw that he just ordered. I saw it and immediately thought of this:

This pattern has been in my Ravelry queue since the first day it was released on Knitty. In fact, the first time I tried to queue it, it hadn't been put into Ravelry yet so I was out of luck. I like this wrap so much that if I wasn't on a yarn diet, I probably would have cast it on already. Turning it into a throw doesn't seem like it would be very difficult at all.

It is really nice to see something for sale that makes me think, "Hey, I could make that!" It is hard to describe what the actual feeling is, but I think empowered is the closest. It is probably only a fraction of what people who make their own patterns feel. Both times that I've had that feeling, I knew that there was a pattern waiting for me on the internet that would meet my needs. To be confident that you could make something knowing that there isn't a pattern or seeing something that isn't even knitwear and having it inspire a knit creation, that has got to feel great.

1 comment:

Lupie said...

I know just what you are talking about. I love seeing sweaters in stores and saying I can do that!
The designer rush, or any artist, must be awesome. Sad to say I am not gifted and will never know that level of artistic rush.