Monday, July 25, 2011

FO: Stripe Study

FO Stripe Study
I finished my Stripe Study a bit ago, but I haven't gotten a picture until this weekend. Something about this heat wave made it difficult to remember to grab my wool wrap. I would have finished it earlier, but I made the ridiculous decision to spend as much time binding off as I did knitting. I don't know when or why, but I decided that the sewn bind off is my favorite. I am here to assure you that a garter stitch shawl that binds off on the two long sides does not require a sewn bind off. It is a good technique, but I spent a full day sitting in the park pulling that long bind off end through each stitch...TWICE! It was a lovely day, but I am officially saving that bind off for lace (and maybe toe up socks.)
pre-block
I decided to go as long as I could with each color to use up all of my yarn, and when I finished I was worried that it was a little small. The longest point reached just past my mid-back. It seemed to work just fine, but it wasn't at all what I was expecting based on the photos from the pattern. I was especially disappointed because I knit 2 extra stripes before I ran out of the darker yarn. Since I took it across the country and the park I gave it a bath right away. When I laid it out to dry it grew a lot more than I expected for just garter stitch. I am very happy with the final size.

I'm not certain how I feel about the asymmetry yet though. It looks fantastic, but I haven't had occasion to use my new wrap. The tallest point falls over my left shoulder instead of down the center of my back. I'm interested to find out how well it stays in place and protects my back from the giant window at work.

leftovers

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh it's so pretty! I really like the colors you picked!

Amanda D Allen said...

Thanks! I was worried about the colors for a bit. Really I think it was because I chose them from the sale bin and they were the only two that would go together. That much garter stitch will make your mind doubt anything.

Jenn said...

I like it! And want to make one! :)

Amanda D Allen said...

Thanks! You should make one because short rows are awesome!

Zonda said...

Pretty colors! I agree it'll be interesting wearing them. I used to like the sewn bind off, but got tired of estimating how much yarn to do it (read.. ran short a few times) I just used a crochet hook 2 times bigger and bound off that way.

Lina said...

Wow, it looks amazing Amanda!!! Great job! :)

lina
photoknitdog.com

Yarny Days said...

This is SO beautiful! I love the colors here.

Amanda D Allen said...

Thank you all so much. I'm excited about the weather cooling off so I can finally use it.