Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Owen's Blanket: Part 2

Process

Pattern: Mitered Blanket by Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne
Yarn: Knit Picks Comfy Worsted in Creme Brulee, Honey Dew, and Ivory
Needles: US 5 (3.75 m) and US 7 (4.5 mm)
Notes: I have to admit, I am pretty proud of myself. I seamed up each square and wove in all the ends as I went along with this project. I am so glad that I did because it was daunting to just cut off all of the ends when I finished. These little squares made for great subway knitting, so it knit up relatively quickly.

As far as modifications go, I decreased the number of stripes in each square. The meant that I couldn't carry the yarn up the side, so I had to cut the yarn for each stripe. This of course meant more ends to weave in. It also made it difficult to judge how much yarn I needed. I ended up determining how much yarn was needed per square, what percentage of the square each color made up and calculating the yardage from that. My calculations were far from perfect, but fortunately I have a bit of extra yarn instead of running out.

It is not in these pictures, but I also put an I-cord border on the blanket. It wasn't as fun as the I-cord border on my Op-Art, but I still love the look of it.

No comments: