Sunday, April 25, 2010


Since I finished Owen's blanket in the middle of all that snow excitement, I had a few days before I was going to get it out in the mail. I also had some extra yarn. On an earlier project this winter, I had decided that Comfy might make a good toy yarn. Do you see where this is going?
A bonus for Owen! Before he was born, Owen's parents were keeping his name a surprise so he was "Monkey" to those of us not in the know.
Pattern: Alfonso the Monkey by Cara Key (Rav Link)
Yarn: Knit Picks Comfy Worsted in Honey Dew, Creme Brulee and Ivory
Needles: US 3 (3.25 mm)
Notes: Let me just start by saying that Cara's pattern is fantastic and completely adorable. I couldn't resist making this money the moment I saw him.
I made one alteration and really it was based in a silly misconception. I thought that I was getting smarter, and the next step for me as a knitter was to start adjusting patterns to make them fit my fit my needs and preferences. So, while I was reading though Cara's pattern I read how the body and belly of the monkey were knit separately, then the monkey was stuffed though the belly and pieces were seamed together. I, of course, thought I was super cool and could skip the seaming. Instead of waiting to seam the two together I picked up the belly piece as I knit up the body by using some SSKs and P2togs. When I got to the neck, I stuffed the body before closing it up. This worked just fine, except my monkey has a pot belly that Cara's doesn't. There's no need to be polite, you can tell he's got a bit of a pooch. I think it is kinda cute on the monkey, but when I make Cara's otter, (Rav Link) I want it to be perfect. I will be extremely obedient with that pattern.


ely said...

I am happy to discover your blog thanks to raverly
I'm Belgian and I love your projects!
very nice!

Amanda D Allen said...

Thank you! I am very excited to see your blanket continue to grow.