Sunday, May 10, 2009

Aleita Again

Pattern: Aleita Shell by Bonne Marie Burns (Interweave Knits Spring 2008)
Yarn: Renyolds Saucy Sport
Needles: US 6 (4.0 mm)
Notes: As I mentioned earlier, I made a slew of changes in this top. First, I adjusted the measurements of the bottom slightly so it fit closer to my waistline. I also added about an inch to the length of the stockinette section so it would fall where I wanted it to on my hip. I decided that I wanted the pattern to start below my bust line and fit like an empire cut. I tried to do that with my first Aleita, but even though I had the proper length measurements it didn't fit like that. To try to fix those fit issues, I took about half of the increases out of the stockinette section and decided to put them in as bust darts at the beginning of the pattern section.

I have never done bust darts before, and the only tutorial I've read about it was for a simple top down, stockinette, raglan sweater. I had to rework some of the numbers and figure out how I wanted to make it a part of the pattern. I decided to start with three of the knit stitches of the pattern right next to each other, and increase in the purls in between them. I am really happy with how my first bust darts work out.

The final change I made was to the shoulders. I didn't really like the I-cord cover for the shoulder seams. Instead, I connected the shoulders with kitchner and left the I-cord off. It is not perfect because it doesn't follow the pattern, but I am still pretty happy with it.

3 comments:

Christopher Tripp said...

I love it!!!

Lupie said...

Just beautiful. The yarn is perfect and the fit amazing!

Amanda D Allen said...

Thank you both. I really do thing this yarn was an ideal match for the pattern.